(Барьеры и решения)
(Применение в науке, лаборатории, ..)
(Ссылки на другие сайты)
2021-10-03 15:53:48 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
1) Firefox doesn't allow you visit half of web-sites,
shows messages about certificates. The problem appeared
in the end of september 2021, beginning of October 2021.
Solution: import new certificates to your Firefox/2.
2) os2.guru opens borse to link developers and customers which need
apps for OS/2. We have opened it 20 years ago, now we make new effort.
If you have an order - we can publish it.
3) eCo Software: to update software for OS/2 we need 2K$ per month.
Currently we don't have a sponsor or investor.
2021-09-07 00:29:57 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
2020-01-26 16:17:10 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
Future versions of DevMan will show,
did you installed proper drivers for every device or not.
(in other words, is it possible accelerate work of video or
it works at maximal speed = is it necessary replace universal device
driver to accelerated or not)
Our experience with service of Windows users shows that
huge amount of Windows computers are configured not properly:
main drivers are not installed so computers work properly.
Of course, Windows has all means to fix this problems.
OS/2 will get the assistant in 2020 only.
- red vertical stripe -
the device doesn't have driver or wrong driver
- orange indicator - a driver is installed but it should be
replaced to accelerated one,
оранжевая вертикальная полосочка - драйвер стоит, но нужно
сменить его на более подходящий
- green stripe - optimal driver is installed
2020-01-22 02:22:10 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
eCo Software is interested research User Interface development for OS/2.
1) We have offered TouchPM concept several years ago with the goal
to update PM controls for compatibility with touch screens.
2) there were plans to change view of eCenter panel.
we are collecting ideas how to redesign it.
3) the main door to PM upgrade is eSchemes program.
we should select what tasks are the most important and real.
4) WPS Copy/Move dialog should be implemented.
this is must have function for new users.
So, to achieve some results in the next 5 monthes, we need some sponsor help.
NeoWPS subscription => Sponsor units
2020-01-22 01:49:15 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
OS/2 GURU published more reports about tested hardware
Database of hardware: http://os2.guru/hardware.php
- modern motherboards
- USB Audio adapters
What computer configuration is optimal for OS/2 in 2020?
- you don't need extreme NVidia video adapter
- no need in i9 and 64 Gb of RAM
- on the other side, it's stupid to run OS/2 on MMX and Pentium from 2004
OS/2 Benchmarks: http://os2.guru/sysbench
2020-01-16 00:29:09 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
Is it normal to change the constitution?
ops, what holy cow can be killed? and what cow is untouchable?
What sentence is correct when we discuss OS/2?
- Some parts of OS/2 are untouchable and can't be replaced
- OR any component, any feature of OS/2 can be changed?
(but what we get in final? )
Holy cows of OS/2 - Pro and Contra
2020-01-09 03:12:08 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
If your program was working in OS/2 Warp or eComStation,
test that it is compatible with ArcaOS:
- X-1: directory structure was changed.
example: system files are located in \sys now
some aux utilities are absent or are located in other place.
- X-3: USBCALLS: should work as early
(new apps compiled with ArcaOS,
may fail in old eComStation. let's test)
- X-4: if compiling XWP widget, then check X-1, X-2.
- X-5: ACPI dll, (help us with tests)
- X-7: the behavior of main drivers was changed 1) video: Panorama,
2) ACPI - test compatibility of your program with this drivers
- test the installer of your program
that it works without mistakes: X-1, X-2
2020-01-06 18:54:01 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
What do you expect to see and listen at the conference?
- 1) ArcaNoae makes presentations every year
- 2) bitwiseworks makes reports every year
What do you expect? what you could do for the conference?
2020-01-04 01:44:17 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
We are collecting benchmark logs at
Let's analyze the results,
- No need to use expensive external video adapters.
Better use Intel integrated than NVidia external.
- (obviously) 4 cores is better than 2 cores
- (obviously) SSD is faster than HDD
- (obviously) New computers are faster than old
Let's collect other 30 reports to get more conclusions.
2020-01-03 21:00:11 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
// Killer application = popular application = locomotive application = application which
attracts attention of external users and makes them install OS/2 system.
We are discussing this topic since 2001, we still don't have such program on OS/2 market.
The latest discussion gives one more conclusion:
we can't create large super Photoshop.
But we should discuss what 5 small / medium size programs
should be *developed* and *included* to the operating system DVD.
How are you going use PC in 2020? Order OS/2 popular application here.
2020-01-03 19:51:14 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
We confirm that the users don't have discounts when migrate from eComStation to ArcaOS.
ArcaOS is better than OS/2 Warp and eComStation, because works better on modern hardware:
2019-12-24 23:53:45 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
2019-12-21 03:44:58 -- Igor Sapegin [os2.guru]
Igor Sapegin reported:
if USB controller is attached via PCIe then OS/2 doesn't detect USB.
If USB controller is attached via PCI - OS/2 can access it.
So, seems that it's necessary implement support of PCIe bus.
Seems that motherboards with USB 3.1 or Type 6 have USB attached via
PCIe and OS/2 doesn't detect USB.
2019-12-21 03:18:18 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
2019-12-18 12:56:41 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
Topic which we are discussing since 2006: How to spend OS budget?
- it's clear that web-browser porting is an important project.
But keep in mind that *ported* web-browser doesn't attract
new users to OS/2.
On the other side, the availability of modern web-browser
is the main requirement to keep existing users alive.
- What do you recommend?
spend all resources to 1 huge program or invest into dozen of medium size apps?
As we discussed before, there are 5 divisions in the OS:
1) drivers 20%, 2) utilities 20%,
3) Applications 20%,
4) installer 20%,
5) ads 20%
More detailed view at 3) Applications:
for example, 1/10 could be spend to Firefox porting.
other 9/10 are invested inoto 5 medium size apps to extend OS/2 market
or improve usage of OS/2 for SOHO tasks.
<--- previous page
IBM OS/2 Warp